Friday, September 15, 2006

Exclusive Interview with Sang H. Kim :: Part 1

The following is the first in a series of excerpts from an exclusive interview with Sang H. Kim, director of the martial arts action movie, Zen Man.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Q: Tell us a little about your film, Zen Man.

Sang H. Kim: Zen Man is the story of Han who is a master of martial arts and traditional calligraphy. He is living his life in seclusion, taking care of his niece, when the son of one of his former students shows up. The young man, Antonio, is seeking revenge against his father's killer and he asks Han to resume his martial arts training. When Han refuses, Antonio decides to take matters into his own hands and Han is ultimately forced to act before Antonio endangers anyone else.

TKDT: Where did the idea Zen Man come from?

SHK: When I was a little boy, I was hyperactive and sleepless. My grandmother used to tell her bedtime stories to keep my four brothers and me quiet. One of her stories has stuck in my mind for a long time, the story of my grandfather who survived in a foreign and hostile environment in Japan as a Korean traditional master. Based on her story of the heroic actions of my grandfather, I adapted parts of his life for the screen.

TKDT: So this is something that's been a long time in the making.

SHK: I've loved movies since I was a little boy. My father used to show "one penny movies" in many of the villages surrounding ours in the 1960s. He would carry a projector in his truck and set up a white sheet for a screen and charge a penny for admission. Then, when I was a bit older, one of my brothers took me to the theater to see Enter the Dragon, with Bruce Lee and I was fascinated. I was a third degree black belt in taekwondo at the time and I was amazed by Bruce Lee's skills and screen presence. So I guess movie making is something I've wanted to do since childhood, as a dream, and in a professional sense, it's something I've been preparing for over the last 15 years.

No comments: